Monday, March 24, 2008

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!!





Hi girls! I just want to share my story with you. I have never been particularly artsy and crafty. As a matter of fact if you had asked me a few years ago, I would have told you that I didn't have a crafty bone in my body. In the past my only creative expression has always been the ability to decorate my home on a shoestring budget. I guess that's pretty creative, but I'd never "made" anything. I owned a failing small town cafe (unfortunately a dieing breed these days!) After I decided to close the doors I needed to keep up the mortgage payments. I had a decision to make. Go to work outside the home full-time to help pay for this building or do something with it to generate income. I chose the latter, as I have all my life worked 70+ hours a week outside the home, then of course my responsibilites at home, too!

I decided to try a part-time business out of the old cafe and to try my hand at sales on eBay from home to round things out. I thought I would try a shop that would not require much inventory or expense. I convinced my husband to build booths for me to rent out to vendors so they could sell there wares and to help me fill up the store with merchandise. Before long my little store was full to capacity and everyone seemed to be a crafter of some kind. I used my talent for decorating and the shop just came together. As I said, I didn't consider myself crafty or even all that interested in crafts! It just happened that way. I needed to expand within 2 months of opening, as I had more request for booths from vendors. I had a large back dining room that had become a junk room. My husband didn't have the time to build more booths for me. What to do?? Pam, a very generous friend of mine with some fix-it handy gal experience just happened to be renting a booth from me and offered to help me repair the floor and build booths. This was my first experience with building anything or using power tools. It was very impowering! That set the wheel in motion.

Pam and I now make all kinds of rustic country crafts and primitives. We call our little venture Wood n' Whimsy. We both have more creativity than we ever imagined! We have a workshop set up in what was the old cafe kitchen and we have a blast! Who knew we could do this? I would have never thought I was capable of woodcrafting and painting or clever enough to come up with so many neat ideas!
I'm not making tons of money yet, but we are going to "take it on the road" as they say and sell at craft fairs and shows this year!

My point is this, ladies, we can do whatever we set our minds to. We don't have to settle for dull and boring jobs! Sometimes we just have to open our hearts and heads to new ideas.
Pam and I sell Wood n' Whimsy crafts at my "brick and mortar" shop, on line at eBay

No comments: